I've posted this before - but is seriously bears reposting. This soup is so good .......seriously people. Go make it RIGHT NOW! My kids love it too!
Kirsty Alley’s Green Soup
With Allie’s notes
Notes: This makes a LARGE pot or two medium pots full. So for us it’s about 3 dinners and a few lunches.
- Chop all veggies (except spinach) and set aside before starting! This could take a bit.
2 bunches asparagus
2 bunches spinach (add at end)
3 heads broccoli
4 cartons chicken broth (I use Better than Bullion)
8 leeks (white part only)
salt (I use RealSalt brand sea salt)
pepper (I like white pepper)
olive oil (I like to use butter too)
2 cloves garlic
1) In a very large pot put ½ cup olive oil (or butter or coconut oil or a combo).
2) Add shallots & sweat them until clear (about 5 minutes).
3) Add leaks & garlic and sweat until clear (about 5-7 minutes more). Add extra oil/butter if it gets dry.
4) Add asparagus and broccoli and a tablespoon of salt.
5)Add 4 cups of broth (1 carton). Let simmer for 5 minutes.
6) Add 3 more cartons (or 12 more cups) broth or bullion.
7) Add about ¾ tablespoon (to taste) pepper.
8) Cover and bring to a boil.
9) Turn off flame and add the spinach and recover. Leave it for about 5-10 minutes.
10) Puree well with an immersion blender (or in batches in the blender).
11) Return to a boil. Viola!
If you are freezing the leftovers (this makes 3 dinners and a few lunches for us) wait until the soup is completely cooled before putting in Ziploc bags and freezing.