June 4, 2011

Oprah

Dear Children,

I don't know when you will read this and what sort of people will influence the lives of America in that future date but I want to say a few words about Oprah. She has been on daytime television for the past 25 years. This year was her last season and while I was not a faithful viewer I always enjoyed what she had to say and her final episode was just incredible. Her message has always been a message I hope will hit you where you really live, deep inside you, a message I hope you will carry with you always.

YOU have the power to change you
YOU and you alone are responsible for your life
YOU are enough
YOU are worthy of happiness and
YOU have the power to change the world

Her show has always been about everyday people - or at least it communicated on a level that everyday people could get. She taught lessons to so many about so much. She helped in the way she knew how and did it with passion. 

People come and people go but special people, wise people, true people, people who are good and kind and generous - those are few and far between. Cherish those people when you find them, hold them close and love them dearly. Learn from them. Listen to them. Encourage them.

I hope your lives are full of these people. As these are the people you are to me and I hope you grow to show others this as well.

This post is not to say "be like Oprah" but rather be the amazing people that you are and reach out and change the world. You are each so exquisitely unique & wonderful. Embrace it!

I love you my wonderful children.

And I love Oprah too. 


No comments: