August 24, 2010

Compassion


      So we had a bit of a roller coaster ride tonight with Charlotte. Chores must be done if bedtime stories are to be read. And you my friend worked really hard on yours. Your sister, not so much. As a result her bedtime story did not get read and boy was she unhappy. You stayed in her room with her and tried and tried to get her to do it right away and after a while succeeded and walked her through each task she needed to do.
    But alas, that is not my deal. My deal is chores done the first time it is asked. So I had to stick to my guns (even though I REALLY wanted to just read the darn story). And you couldn't hold it in any longer. Luke, you quietly cried on my bed and when I guessed what was happening, I guessed right. You were sad because Charlotte makes the wrong choices sometimes, and this makes you so sad because you try SO HARD to help her and she still makes the wrong choices. You try so hard to be good and sometimes it seems she doesn't.
    I tried to point out that she is getting so much better and that it isn't up to us to make her choices for her. I also tried to explain that by sticking to my decision I was helping her to learn an important life lesson. But you and I both really wanted to just read her the darn story so she would stop crying.

    Son, I am so privileged to me your mom and to spend my life with you. You are sweet, kind, smart and most of all incredibly compassionate. I may wish huge financial success for you, really high IQ scores, and a rewarding career & family of your own - but ultimately I wish for you to be good. It sounds plain but that is my goal if I had to use only one word. For my kids to be good.
    
    And you are so very good.

No comments: