September 21, 2008

The Adventures of John & Jack



I'm not quite sure why or how it started but one night a few weeks ago I started telling Luke a yarn about twin boys named John and Jack who always got into funny shenanigans. One time they brought a frog to the Doctors office "by accident," another time they "accidentally" went to the off-limits but totally cool part of a dinosaur museum, etc., etc.

I've always been a bit embarrassed to create make believe stories on the spot for the kids but these I am really getting into. It's fun to let your imagination go crazy in a way you know your kids will love. At least once each time Luke will bust out laughing. It's a magical moment I tell you.

Oh a cool blast from the past! I found this fantastic craft project at Ikea a few months ago, one I had been searching for a while. It's the one from summer camp, you'll know the one, where you have a plastic template shape thing, like a star or heart or circle, with all these little shoots coming out of it about an 1/8 of an inch and they are just the right size to fit little plastic beads over. Then you cover the tiny, poky shoots with colorful beads, cover with wax paper and melt it with an iron. Anyway......we did that tonight and it's SUPER fun. I think it's perfect for preschool and up because it makes for a fun hand-eye coordination exercise (I got a mighty fine workout myself) you must have patience, you have to plan it out, and it supplies relatively instant gratification. Anyway, for about $6, a trip to Ikea and a few minor burns on your hands, you too can put hundreds of colorful beads together and melt them into a masterpiece....just for the FUN of it. :) Here's a pic of Charlotte's (and my) creation.

No comments: