December 8, 2012

1st day of school



It has taken me a while to write about this day.

“Awwww, poor thing – you were sad to see your baby go?”

No. Well yes, but no that’s not my reason for needing time to heal.

This was one of those days that was SO BAD it was actually funny. Kinda. Sorta. In a sick and twisted “It really couldn’t get any worse” sort of a way.

Let me share!

I was quite lame and didn’t get my stuff together enough to buy Willsie his “first day of school” lunchbox the weekend prior to starting. Organized people do this sort of thing. I am not currently very organized.

On the night before I was more tired than ever as I had to wake at 5AM anyway to get ready for WISH (our homeschool co-op). So instead of driving all the way out to Target like I wanted to I went to the local drug store – who (of course) was all out of lunch boxes that fit my picture of the perfect "1st day of school" fantasy lunchbox.

Discouraged, but still too tired for Target, I packed him our family lunchbox as best I could (but was really upset about it) and searched for this shirt – which is the same shirt Lucas wore on his first day of preschool. The next morning we posed for pictures really quickly and dashed out the door.

I dropped him off and we went along our merry way.

20 minutes later I get a phone call from the school. Gulp.

The principal is on the phone to tell me one of the teachers discovered a HUGE pocket knife in Will’s lunchbox. This would be the large fishing knife I keep in the family lunchbox’s front pouch to cut up fruit when we are out and about. The kids never go in there – so it never crossed my mind.

OK – HOLD IT RIGHT THERE. I JUST ALLOWED A 5 INCH, VERY SHARP, POCKET KNIFE IN MY 2 YEAR OLD’S LUNCH BOX!!!!!!!! PLEASE DELETE MY EXISTENCE FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH!

I get pains all over my body and soul just recounting this experience. It was horrible. Ghastly. I wanted to crawl in a hole for 77 years and cry the whole time.

Of course I profusely apologized and promptly got off the phone and cried my eyes out for about 2 hours thinking of all the things that could have gone wrong. I called my BFF Calyn and BALLED like a baby. I called John and balled like a baby. 

I begged John to create a united front with me at pickup time. So together we went to face the principal - who in every respect could have 1) called the police 2) called Child Protective Services 3) Kicked us out 4) All the above (gulp - more mind&body&soul pains just thinking about it). Turns out she was incredibly gracious and kind and said that since she knew me so well - all was forgiven and forgotten. I cried once more for good measure in her office – and vowed to forget this day forever (but always double check the lunchbox). 

I thought this was an educational story to share. I want you children to know & remember – bad things happen to good people. If this is you - fully & quickly own up to those things you have done wrong and forgive those that do wrong to you. This is key, key, key. If there is one thing I have learned from your dad it is that. Please remember to forgive, forgive, forgive. But don't forget.

Willsie – I am so happy you are doing so well in school – and I’m sorry about your first day debacle. I think this was all over your head though. Thank goodness. 


No comments: