March 10, 2012

What will you remember?

Dear Children,

What will you remember when you look back on your childhood?
Will you remember the good? Will you remember the bad?
This has been rolling around my mind these past few weeks........thought I should jot it down. At least this way you know that I fully acknowledge there is (was) some bad. It is unfortunate that the bad things in life can so easily wash away hundreds of good.

But please try to stretch those mental muscles and keep the good in front. I promise there really is more of it.

Will you remember that we made hot cross buns in the fall of 2007 at our little blue house in La Crescenta?
Will you remember when we went to Disneyland the day after Christmas in 2006 because I thought that would be their least busy day? (oops)
Will you remember all the pancake breakfasts we did on the weekend or the "two eggs for everyone" rule that your dad insists upon every morning?
Will you remember all the evenings of your childhood (almost every one to date) that we spend cuddling with you in our bed, reading, or playing "concentration, elimination" until you fall asleep?
Will you remember that we did what it took to send you to schools we felt would enhance you the most?
Will you remember when we sat and held you during a tantrum, showing you compassion even though  every cell in our body screamed for corporal punishment?
Will you remember - or maybe you never even knew - that we chose financial sacrifices so I could be home with you as much as possible?
Will you remember the dance, ceramics, piano and other classes we drove you to so you could be all that you wanted to be?
Will you remember when your dad dressed up as Rambo and ambushed us when we came home from the library?

or

Will you remember the times I fly off the handle and yell, or say harsh things?
Will you remember the bizarre rules I have made over the years to then have your dad tell me I need to tone things down? (the reason God gave children two parents).

I don't want to make you forget anything that has happened. But my hope is that you do remember the good. There is so much good. I am so blessed by you children. And the more children I have the more I love you all. Thank YOU for making my dreams a reality.

Love, Mom

1 comment:

Jennifer Babbitt said...

This is beautiful!!! Great idea. U r amazing.