October 31, 2011

A theological meltdown at the Halloween store

Upon arriving at the Halloween store Charlotte my darling, you informed me that you wanted to be a devil. And this is what transpired:
A: "Honey, the devil is the opposite of God! Are you sure you want to be something that represents the opposite of God?! I mean, I don't think this is really setting a good example."
C: "Umm...I just want to be a devil mom. I like the red dress"
A: "Let's look at other costumes"

We searched the store and I could see you getting more and more downtrodden. Finally I gave in. At this Lucas came up and asked for a scythe. "Seriously!!!" I am thinking. And I said "Lucas, this represents Death. I don't feel good about you representing Death. Also it will scare your brother." At this he shows it to William and William runs up and grabs it and starts hitting Lucas and giggling. Great. Thanks William.

So after feeling close to tears and at total defeat at turning my children's hearts in a more righteous direction - I give in. I am not sure this one is worth it. When we get home and rely the whole scenario to John he says "Honey, do you really want to be THAT mom?? Please go take a nap." Wise, wise man........ And I did.

All in all I do still think the things I said, but I don't want to fight battles that aren't worth it. And to your credit my Char, you made as darling a devil there could be. 


 Lucas 


 My Lion

 The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe


 Our Trick or Treat Party. 
 Wills hung out with Grandpa who acted as tour guide for the Trick or Treat party.

Wills first lolly pop.

All in all it was an awesome Halloween. My brother in law made John's wardrobe costume and I was tickled with how it turned out. This kind of made up for my older children's costumes. Must Halloween be so disgustingly scary?? What happened to imaginative costumes? Oops, I'm being that mom again. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was so hilarious when you told the story at school about your theological meltdown. I feel you. I love that you can still make Will be something cute!! Colin discarded superheroes this year and was the Scream guy. It's heartbreaking... I see zombies and bleeding aliens in my Halloween future. Oh well... they sure do look adorable. And happy. :)

Frances said...

From the looks of these pictures, it seems like you really had a lot of fun after buying costumes from the Halloween store!