November 5, 2008

Charlotte the French woman


I was unloading groceries last night and this is what unfolded after Charlotte saw that I bought a cantaloupe:

Charlotte: Oh...I am SO happy to see this!

Allie: Ya know, I thought you would be (for some reason I knew the cantaloupe would thrill her)

Luke: What's it called?

Charlotte: A banquoi

Allie: Banquoi? In English we call it a cantaloupe.

Luke & Charlotte: Oh..

Allie: Charlotte...what did you call it??

Charlotte: Baaan-quuuuoi (said with overdone enunciation)

I learned a while back to never correct a child on what they think something is called. I always tell them what I call it, or what we call it in English, but who am I to judge?? For all I know Charlotte was Portuguese in another life or French and I am just too slow to keep up...regardless...her version of everday words never ceases to entertain me. Just in case you were about to, I already did (googled it), can't find a darn thing. If you know of something I don't...share please!!

2 comments:

KJ said...

OK, just because I'm a freak I put "cantaloupe" into the google translator and the closest I can find are:
Fillipino: milong bilog
Latvian: burkāns

There are a bunch that come up written with letters I can't read so I don't know how they are pronounced, I wish google would give them phonetically! I want to find Banquoi!

Anonymous said...

What makes you and Kat think that the language last lifetime had to be from THIS planet. Silly people! :-)