July 8, 2008

I take it personally

Excerpt from Charlotte's Journal:
July 21 08

Ya know, for some strange reason I seem to take it personally when you grow out of clothes. I mean seriously, who gave you permission to grow up so fast?!?

There is a funny process of denial: continuing to stuff your buns into underwear too small, declaring "pants can become capris, no problem!" and attempting to stretch shirts down over your cute tum-tum. While it is sort of funny there is a tiny bit of sadness in this last ditch attempt to keep you small.

After denial comes the wake up moment that you are borderlining on looking unkempt and unloved and that it's time to pack up the too-small clothes and move on.

Then there is the "last wash" where you wash the clothes one last time and fold them nicer than you ever have before and do a quick sigh while you flash through some good times you had in them and quickly pack them away for hand-me-downs before anyone sees reminiscent tears in your eyes.

And then there is the exciting "have to buy bigger clothes" shopping trip. And while that is fun, the whole thing is hard!!!
The letting go process starts way earlier than I dreamed. Boohoo! (I'll be over it in a half hour, don't worry about me)

No comments: