February 27, 2008

World Without End

I must say, with the writers strike going on (at least I think it's still going on - shows how in the loop I am) I have been doing a lot more reading. I'm not a big TV watcher to begin with, I was doing 2-3 hours a week. But man, am I thrilled to be unglued and released from the chains of TV slavery. I despised (and loved, I'll admit it) having a weekly date with my TV that I refused to miss. Yes, yes there's TiVo - but TiVo is not a necessity with two kids in private school.
I'm rambling but the point is.......I have been doing A LOT more reading these past several months having nixed my TV watching rituals. Once I had absorbed every last morsel of the 2nd season of Big Love on DVD I went through about two weeks of TV withdrawal (it was pretty painful) and now I am incredibly content, I dare say happy with just my book(s). Those of you that know me know i always have about 3-7 books on my nightstand waiting to be read or ones I dabble with.

Anyway, the whole point is that if you read and loved The Pillars of the Earth (read it right now if you have never heard of it) there is a quasi-sequel that is pretty darn fantastic. It doesn't quite have the ________ (insert perfect adjective) as the first book but it's a close second, it's called World Without End and that's how it feels let-me-tell-you, because it's also a whopping 1000 pages or so.

In closing, I highly recommend kicking the TV habit and visiting the library. It's free and you might just learn something. :) Nighty night.

No comments: