February 27, 2008

Friend of Foe?

It all started with the LeapFrog Leapster. It's this educational video game but in reality I am starting to think it's a glorified game boy (hand held video game system). I must admit it has pretty cool games on it, but is it really necessary? Is this tool more friend than foe? Might it make kids and parents alike lazy and shirk their duties as students and teachers?

Don't get me wrong, it is not a product without merit. I am just thinking that like most things it needs limits and an educated and caring parent to help make those. I was introduced to one of these last year by a family member. His kids were playing this art game and one other game (no violent games, a DEFINITE upside) and Luke fell in love.

I hemmed and hawed back and forth about writing Santa and asking him to bring Luke one but decided that for pete's sake - why rush things??? But now his buddies are starting to have them and play them and I didn't want my kid being the freak......so.... I started letting him play a few video games on my phone and computer and the addiction has begun.....

My days are now peppered with "when can I play it?" questions. These same questions have never crossed his lips until I started the whole thing a few weeks back. I am cursing myself. Let this be a lesson to me. Don't get me wrong, I am not 100% against video games, they are fun, I loved them as a kid, all things in moderation right?

My problem is that my kids (and most I know) spend way too much time indoors already, and their life is so fast paced and for darn sake why do kids need "educating" all day long anyway?? Plus I noticed that kids lives today are all choreographed for them. The toys, TV shows and movies, videos games, etc. have taken all the "creation" out of childhood. What happened to mud pies and invisible friends? I personally feel that if things keep going the way they are kids won't know how to "play" because they have never been forced to use their imagination.

In closing, I vow to not make my kid a freak, however I do plan to get dirty and make mud pies tomorrow. Here's to using your imagination!

No comments: